Frequently Asked Questions
We have put together the answers to some frequently asked questions about the Northumbria University's OSCE examination processes and policies together with information about the Test of Competence.
The OSCE is designed to assess your ability to competently apply your professional nursing or midwifery knowledge and skills in the UK. The level expected is that of a nurse or midwife as they enter the profession at the point of registration.
This means that you must show that you are capable of applying knowledge to the care of service users at the level expected of a newly registered nurse or midwife.
The examination is testing your ability to apply knowledge to the care of service users rather than how well you can remember and recite facts.
All scenarios and associated questions relate to current best practice and you should answer them in relation to published evidence and not according to local arrangements.
We recommend at least 14 days preparation time from booking to test date to sufficiently prepare yourself.
All information is available to you online once you have booked and paid for your test.
You can register for the OSCE stage of the overseas registration process once you have received confirmation from the NMC that you are eligible to sit the Test of Competence. The NMC will confirm with us your eligibility to take the OSCE.
We are only able to book tests for candidates that have received either a decision letter or Test of Competence Invitation Letter from NMC.
The Northumbria NMC Competence Test Centre is currently open five days per week (Monday to Friday) at our Coach Lane Campus. Dates are available throughout the year and can be accessed to book via our secure booking system.
The only document we as the test centre need to check for you to undertake your OSCE is your passport. Please make sure to bring this with you for every attempt. We encourage all candidates to bring the necessary documentation to their OSCE but you will be able to arrange with the NMC if they need to check any outstanding documentation after your OSCE.
For any queries about the ID documents please contact the NMC by emailing ID.firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be aware that candidates should arrive at least 30 minutes prior to their exam as it allows for registration. The time on your booking or ticket confirmation will list the time you should arrive by for registration. Your OSCE examination time will be visible under additional information.
If for any reason you are going to be late for your OSCE examination, please let us know by emailing in to us at CTCGeneralEnquiries@Northumbria.ac.uk.
The OSCE examination costs £794. (Effective from 1st April 2019)
Should your candidate need to re-sit, the costs are as outlined here.
*Please allow ten days between original test date and re-sit to allow for additional preparation and action on feedback.
The cost of a re-sit depends on how many stations a candidate needs to retake.
A Test of Competence 2021 re-sit consisting of 1-7 stations costs £397 and a re-sit consisting of 8-10 stations costs £794.00.
Candidates can change or reschedule their exam date however it is important to note our Refunds, Cancellation and Substitution Policy for Part 2 of the NMC Test of Competence and take into account those timescales. Should you wish to cancel or reschedule your exam please email CTCGeneralEnquiries@northumbria.ac.uk
For additional information on the Test of Competence 2021 you can download the 2021 Candidate Information Booklet.
Should you have further questions, please contact our team who will be happy to help.
You can call the Centre on 0191 3002441 or contact us via email at CTCGeneralEnquiries@Northumbria.ac.uk
- The Competence Test Centre at Northumbria Univiersity is open from Monday to Friday, with examinations taking place at 08:15am, 12.30pm and 4.30pm. The Copmetence Test Centre will be closed on the following planned dates:
- Monday 1st May 2023 (Bank Holiday)
- Monday 8th May 2023 (Bank Holiday)
- Monday 29th May 2023 (Bank Holiday)
- Monday 28th August 2023 (Bank Holiday)
- Friday 22nd December 2023 (Centre Closure)
- Monday 25th December 2023 (Christmas Day)
- Tuesday 26th December 2023 (Boxing Day)
- Wednesday 27th December 2023 (Institutional Day)
- Thursday 28th December 2023 (Institutional Day)
- Friday 29th December 2023 (Institutional Day)
- Monday 1st January 2024 (Bank Holiday)
- Friday 29th March 2024 (Good Friday)
- Monday 1st April 2024 (Bank Holiday)
- Monday 6th May 2024 (Bank Holiday)
- Monday 27th May 2024 (Bank Holiday)
- Monday 26th August 2024 (Bank Holiday)
- Wednesday 25th December 2024 (Christmas Day)
- Thursday 26th December 2024 (Boxing Day)
- Friday 27th December 2024 (Institutional Day)